UNDP Pakistan has recently established a new Development Policy Unit (DPU). The DPU is a dedicated in-house capacity for the development of policy research, analysis and dialogue on selected issues at the heart of UNDP’s Country Programme 2013-2017 including; MDGs and the post-2015 development agenda, poverty and inequality, public service reform, etc. The small in-house team will leverage established capacities of our ongoing projects; produce policy research and advisory and set up a development solutions exchange linking national communities of practice with our global network. It will do so directly in part but will rely mostly on agreements with national think tanks and universities, public sector institutions at the federal and provincial levels as well as long term agreement with reputed university centers abroad. An Advisory Panel comprising of eminent national experts, including from the public sector, will be established to guide the policy research agenda of DPU.
Description of Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Assistant Country Director, Development Policy Unit (ACD-DPU), the Young Professional Officer (YPO) will provide core professional assistance and support to the ACD. More specifically the responsibilities include:
Providing technical support on UNDP’s policy initiatives, especially in doing research, writing policy briefs, developing concept notes, presentations and briefs on potential initiatives that can be taken to alleviate poverty and support economic growth in Pakistan.
Conducting rigorous research and analysis on key macroeconomic policy issues and working closely with Government counterparts to enhance the policy impact of UNDP projects and programmes in pro-poor growth.
Providing support to the unit in facilitating high level policy dialogues and providing technical support to government partners related to their work on MDGs, poverty reduction and inclusive growth.
Assisting the ACD and Programme Officer in setting Annual Work Plans and Targets and monitor progress to achieve the set goal and targets.
Providing assistance to the Unit in preparation and oversight of partnership agreements and new project formulation for resource mobilization.
Liaising with various development partners, government counterparts, civil society organizations, and think tanks to achieve intended objectives with regards to the UNDP Country Programme.
Supporting the Unit in successful management and monitoring of pro poor policy initiatives.
Support the unit in conducting various advocacy events such as workshops, seminars and conferences and provide support to the knowledge management specialist in organizing and managing the solution exchange network.
Facilitate local and international missions including logistical arrangements.
- Seeks, shares and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UNDP
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and nonspecialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
- Leadership and self-management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure